The history of Welton Cricket Club has been lost in the mists of time but it would seem that the village has had a cricket team since the early 1800's.
Initially, the cricket ground was further south down Common Lane, near to the railway line at a place called Goforth Plantation. It is alleged that the name was derived from the expression "go forth and play cricket".
The ground was laid out in its present location in 1893 by Colonel Harrison-Broadley, a member of a long established local family. The ground was donated to the Welton Cricket Club in 1956 by dependents of the late Colonel J B Harrison-Broadley, thereby fulfilling the family's known wishes and now is vested in Trustees nominated by the Club's General Committee.
In 2007 with the amalgamation of Welton Cricket Club with that of Blackburn Leisure Cricket Club and the name of Welton and Brough was adopted.
The combined club with a healthy junior section obtained Clubmark status in September 2009 and became an ECB/YCB Focus Club just a few months later.
On the award of the Focus Club status the club stated "Welton and Brough's aspiration is to be a centre of excellence for the development of junior cricket for the area. We see this award as recognition of the hard work put in by our many volunteers in developing the club and in particular junior cricket. We look forward to the future and working alongside YCB to further develop our ambitions for the future of cricket."
2017 saw a major structural improvement in the clubroom take place with funds being granted from various sources.
With the club moving forward at an AGM in 2017 a decision was taken by the members that it was the wish to revert the cricket section back to its original name and become the Welton Cricket Club once again keeping up the tradition this would allow the section to focus on cricket and providing the best facilities for Junior and Senior members.